What I want for Barcelona 2021
What I want for Barcelona in 2021:
- Startups are a cool thing to do
- There are lots of startups
- Weather attracts, but passion and action keeps people in Barcelona
- Comfortable Inaction is viewed with contempt.
- The sun still shines just like today in 2011
- City’s around the world turn to Barcelona Activa as an example of how to foster Entrepreneurship in a city
- Potential entrepreneurs take action (launch your Minimum Viable Product; there is too much “networking” and too little “launching” at the moment)
- “Trilingüisme” works. Catalan is a living language. Spanish is spoken well. Written and spoken English is fluent in all parts of society.
- Increased chance of meeting people who can help you (top global serial entrepreneurs, top global angels, top innovation VCs, top teams of Facebook, Google, Amazon stop by Barcelona on a regular basis to catch up with the local scene; Active Capital Partners’ Venturepreneur Community is the largest and most active in the world)
- Most Entrepreneurs are Serial Entrepreneurs building scaleable businesses
- People care about what entrepreneurs are doing (as opposed to treating as unemployed); big companies + government value innovation (at same price, preference is for younger supplier)
- Verne Harnish and Gazelles puts on their anual Growth Summit to a record attendance of 10,000 growth entrepreneurs from around the world
- Palau de La Musica, Liceu regularly attract the worlds great musicians
- Architects are not called Architects if they have not spent 6 months living in Barcelona
- Terence Robinson has launched his “Connection/Learning Space” – a central hub where anyone can drop in and be connected to others that share their passions, interests.
- Farley Duvall’s White Bull Summit attracts 5000 attendees
- Xavier Colomer’s Barcelona Developer Conference bring the top technology pioneers from around the world to Barcelona
- Zero waste – the city has eradicated plastic packaging, all excess foods are composted. The bin in the kitchen is a remnant of the past.
- FC Barcelona picks up the Liga, Copa del Rey and the Champions League trophies. Leo Messi is still here.
- IESE Business School remains amongst the top Global Business schools; engagement between LaSalle, UPC, UB, ESADE, IE, Pompeu Fabra creates Barcelona as a worldwide centre of excellence in Teaching, Values Driven Business, Leadership and Entrepreneurship.
- Global Entrepreneurship Week is a massive citywide celebration of innovation
- Ellas 2.0 gives female entrepreneurs great role models and massive self-belief
- The Citizens of the city understand Pay It Forward. Schools transmit these values. Society values this attitude.
- Optimism is contagious, Pessimists are ignored.
- City government and Police focus on eliminating petty crime, pick-pockets and establishing a safe street life
- Petrol and Diesel cars no longer circulate within the city
- There is a statue of Steve Jobs outside the Barcelona Activa Building at Llacuna 162.
What have I missed? What is your Barcelona 2021?