I have posted about education a few times in the past. (The purpose of school, The best teacher I had in school, How we really learn).
The School of the Future
What is the future of education? I think Ken Robinson has some great ideas for education delivery, and Seth Godin on how education will be delivered. I think the follow 5 sites are already big part of the future of education…
- Academic Earth – The best university courses. Academic Earth offers free access to video courses and academic lectures from leading colleges and universities.
- Khan Academy – The best tutorials. Khan Academy is a global free educational site that hosts 1600 mini-tutorials (15 minutes or less) on math, science, and other subjects. Bill Gate uses the site with his 11 year old. (the #1 visited educational site in the world; september 2010)
- Edutopia – The best resources for teachers, parents and school administrators. George Lucas’s foundation is behind this source of innovative learning resources.
- iTunes University – Apple brings learning to the mobile. Lectures from MIT, labs from Stanford, history from Oxford, maths from Cambridge, physics from Trinity College Dublin.
- TED – the best source of powerful ideas delivered through great speeches. A global community covering every discipline and culture.
I believe peer to peer learning is another thing that will characterise the school of the future. I was good at maths when I was in high school… but that was because I compared myself to 32 other kids… not the millions that I might realistically be able to connect to today via facebook, linked-in, twitter… is there a business here? The network of peer to peer learning… the online network of developing shared passions (for those out of school) and peer learning networks for schools… could it be youtube? will it be another?
What are you favourite TED talks, online videos, iTunes courses? I am putting together a list of the top engaging learning videos.