I heard this question asked to a full conference room recently: “Do you know how to use the internet?”
All hands went up. Everybody in the room felt that yes, they know how to use the internet.
Then, the speaker asked a second question: “Ok, show me what you have created?”
“Show me what you have Created”
At first there were only confused faces in the room. What did he mean?: “what have you created?”
If I say I can use an oven, it means that I can create delicious food with it. If I say that I can use a car, it means I can travel to interesting destinations with it. If I say I can use the internet, what do I mean?
Who uses who with the TV? Do I use it? or does it use me?
Who uses who with the internet? Who benefits most when you spend 10 minutes updating your status on facebook? You, your friends, or the owners and managers of Facebook, Inc?
There is a saying: “On the internet, if it is free it is because it is using you”
What have you created with the internet? It is not ok to just be a giant consumer.
What can you create?
- A blog (13 things to know about blogging)
- Videos explaining what you know (My youtube channel)
- A wikipedia entry (Here’s one I wrote about an orchestra)
- An online course (My Udemy course: Nailing the First 90 days in a new Position)
- Lots and lots of other ideas… communities… online CVs…
Join Me on Social