How to achieve Work/Life Balance?
Have you ever wondered if “work/life balance” exists? How do some of the world’s most successful professionals find harmony in work and with the rest of “life”?
This post is based on a conversation with Dr. Stew Friedman. He is the author of Leading the Life You Want.
What is a good life?
His answer: Be real, be whole, be innovative.
What does it mean to be real, be whole and to be innovative?
Be Real, Be Whole, Be Innovative
What does it mean to “Be Real”?
- You know what matters to you
- You live in accordance with your values consistently
- Your daily actions are aligned with values
- You can communicate values with personal stories
- You can describe your legacy
- You hold yourself accountable before all others
What does it mean to “Be Whole”?
- You are good at clarifying expectations
- You help others
- You build supportive networks (you cannot live a good life on your own: without peers, coaches, mentors)
- You apply all of your resources effectively
- You manage boundaries intelligently (sometimes firm, sometimes loose)
- You weave disparate strands of life together
What does it mean to “Be Innovative”?
- Your focus is on results
- You resolve conflicts among domains
- You continually challenge the status quo
- You seek new ways of doing things (crowdsourcing solutions, ask for help)
- You embrace change courageously
- You support innovation attempts by others
Video: Dr Stew at Google
What do you think? What areas are clear, unclear for you? What action will you take?Join Me on Social