“A person cannot teach another person directly; a person can only facilitate another’s learning” Carl Rogers
This is how I want to Teach:
- I create an environment in which participants can learn. I am responsible for setting the mood in the room.
- I teach leaders. I accept zero excuses. I will never, never, never provide pity. I expect 100% responsibility of each participant for their actions, their preparation, their interventions, their learning.
- I know every participant is capable of the growth required.
- I am neither above or below anyone in the room.
- I ask people for their specific goals. I am responsible for ensuring that everyone sees how my course, my teaching, their participation is relevant to their current reality and the problems they face.
- I am a participant, a member of the group. I aim to learn alongside the group.
- I take the initiative in sharing my thoughts, feelings, experiences, reflections in ways which others can take or leave. I tell stories that participants can relate to.
- I teach adults. Everything I teach applies to real life. All content is judged by its direct application to improvement in the quality of life of participants, during and for as long as possible after the course. My teaching is a journey of mutual enquiry.
- I refer to a wide range of resources for learning. I trust participants to read, view, buy, borrow what serves them.
What are your thoughts?