This is a 30 minute interview I conducted with Waldemar Schmidt, past-CEO of a 250,000 employee global company. He shared insights about the role of the CEO:
- How to get the CEO role
- How to be a good CEO
- How to end your time as CEO and
- What to do next.
Watch the Interview
View on YouTube: The Job of the CEO
About Waldemar Schmidt
Waldemar Schmidt, past-CEO of ISS, a 250,000 employee global facilities services business.
Currently on the Boards of 28 companies, London Business School Advisory Board, Professor at Copenhagen Business School, Executive in Residence at IMD.
Author of 4 books including “The Job of the CEO“. Note: all book Royalties are donated to the Waldemar Schmidt Scholarship for (Brazilian) students at the international MBA Programme at Copenhagen Business School.
Highlights from the Interview
- 1:49 What is the Job of the CEO?
- 3:18 Know Products, Numbers, Customers
- 4:30 Management and Leadership
- 5:35 Taking Good Decisions
- 12:40 The Calendar of the CEO
- 15:07 What do you do after being a CEO?
- 16:45 Why did Waldemar step back from the CEO role?
- 18:10 Advice to a 55 year old ex-CEO
- 19:55 Networking as a CEO
- 21:18 How to Build Relationships with top Head Hunters
- 23:20 130 dilemmas that CEOs will face in life and business
- 23:50 The worst enemy of great leadership: Arrogance
- Download Chapter 4 of The Job of the CEO http://editoravaldemar.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/The-Job-of-the-CEO-Chapter-4.pdf
- The Book: “The Job of the CEO” http://editoravaldemar.com/
- Follow Waldemar on twitter http://twitter.com/waldemarschmidt
The Job of the CEO – Book Contents
- the Job of the CEO
- Characteristics and Skills of Great Leaders
- Examples of Successful CEOS’ Education, Nationality and Career Paths
- Self-assessment Tests
- Reflect, Evaluate and Decide Whether the Job of the CEO Is Right for You
- Planning Your Career if a CEO Career Is Not Right for You
- the Essence of Career Planning
- Career Planning
- Your Personal Brand
- How to Work With Executive Search Firms
- Your Pre-CEO Jobs
- How to Manage Your First CEO Job
- How to Manage Your Next CEO Jobs
- How to Manage Your Dream CEO Job
- How to Successfully Exit From Your Final CEO Job
- Decline or Revival?
- What Do You Do if You Lose Your CEO Job?
- Retirement or a New Career?
- How to Manage Your Second Career
- How to Manage Your Third Career
- How to Manage Your Work-life Balance
- How to Deal With 130 Critical Career and Job Issues
Buy the Book
Note: all book Royalties are donated to the Waldemar Schmidt Scholarship for (Brazilian) students at the international MBA Programme at Copenhagen Business School.