I was interviewed by Thomas Capone of the New York Distance Learning Association yesterday and the video recording of our 55 minute conversation is now available on their website.
About Thomas Capone, Director NYDLA
Thomas A. Capone is CEO of MTP-USA, one of the fastest growing telecommunications companies in the United States. Servicing over 300 of the Fortune 1000 companies in the United States. Thomas Capone’s clients include the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the U.S secret service. Thomas Capone is also executive director of the New York Distance Learning Association (NYDLA).
His idea behind the New York Distance Learning Association (NYDLA) is that everything is now about distance learning, not just higher education. Everything is about remote work, tele-work, file sharing, virtual classrooms, virtual work. Even virtual play! Look at the world of video games and virtual reality technologies. The NYDLA brings not only the technology – but smart people – the subject matter experts to those who must master this new world of global distance learning to be successful. The future of our world is to be a global marketplace, and it only makes sense to master the technologies and the distance learning techniques of this new world.
Original Recording here: https://nydla.org/podcasts-conor-neill/
What we cover in the Interview
- 00:00 Welcome to Coffee in the Clouds
- 00:27 Who is Conor?
- 02:35 How did you become a teacher?
- 05:35 A story about my father… “Those that can, do; those that can’t teach”
- 12:40 The lessons of life: Faith, Hope and Love
- 14:40 Let your intuition guide you
- 15:30 How do you define Teacher, Coach, Mentor, Manager and Leader?
- 15:57 What is a teacher?
- 17:12 What is a coach?
- 18:56 What does a mentor do? How do you find purpose?
- 31:30 What is a manager and what is a leader?
- 36:10 How did Aristotle have such an impact on the world?
- 37:40 How to move from in person to online communications?
- 42:00 “you can’t coach speed!” what are the limits to coaching/teaching?
- 47:00 What value would you share with a child as the basis of a good life?