This is a list from Vered Kogan, Vistage Chair.
Lots of our coaching work in Vistage involves helping leaders identify limitations in their beliefs that restrict their opportunities for personal and professional growth.
What Are Limiting Beliefs?
A limiting belief is an opinion about the world that stops you seeing some potential paths or resources that could help you achieve something that is important to you.
A limiting belief is something you have learnt in the past… it may have been helpful in the past… but today it is limiting your capacity for positive action.
Here’s a list of Limiting Beliefs
- I’m not good enough
- I’m not making enough progress
- I don’t know where to start
- I can’t do it…I’ll never change
- I can’t depend on most people
- I won’t have time to do things I enjoy
- I don’t have the right skill sets
- I’m just not lucky
- I’m not smart/experienced enough
- I’m too old/young
- I shouldn’t want more in my life
- There’s never enough time
- There’s a right way to do things
- What would people think?
- I’m too scared
- It’s too hard. I’m overwhelmed.
- I don’t have enough resources
- What if I change my mind?
- I might do it wrong
- I don’t have a choice
- I’m a fraud
- I’m not very creative
- I’m not very sociable/outgoing
- There’s nothing I can do about…
- What if they reject/don’t like me?
- It’s someone else’s fault
How to Weaken a Limiting Belief
- Identify a limiting belief
- Ask yourself, “What negative or unwanted consequences have I already experienced as a result of this limiting belief”?
- Ask yourself, “What positive outcomes and transformations might I be able to experience if I’m willing to let go of this limiting belief”?
- Weaken the Limiting Belief
- Cross Out the Limiting Belief
- Replace it with a NEW Belief
- Strengthen the NEW Belief
Learn more about overcoming Limiting Beliefs from Vered Kogan:
- program yourself for success
- ready for a change? find your dream life
Check out the Top Trending post on the blog right now…
What are your thoughts?