Three Examples of Ice-Breaker Speeches

“Tell me about yourself?”

How do you respond to this most simple of questions?

This is the question that starts many friendships, job interviews, professional relationships and team experiences. However, in many cases… the way that we answer ruins the possibility of creating something great.  How do you answer this question?

Andrew Dlugan provides an excellent overview of the Ice Breaker speech at his blog Six Minutes.  I recommend that you start by reading that post.

Always be Prepared

This is a good speech to practice
Introduce yourself: you are an absolute authority on this topic, no research will be needed.
Conquer fear: get started on preparing a speech that you will give hundreds of times over the course of a life; when you meet someone new, when you move to a new team at work, when you start a new training course.

Here are a 3 simple examples of how to introduce yourself:

————————————————

Structure: “How did I get here?”

Patrick from US Toastmasters

Would you like to meet Patrick?  How did his story engage you?  Are you interested in finding out more?  How could you use Patrick’s structure to explain who you are?
————————————————

Structure 4 phases of my life:

Esha from Indian Toastmasters

Would you like to meet Esha?  How did her story engage you?  Are you interested in finding out more?  How could you use Esha’s structure to explain who you are?

————————————————

Structure: My heroes:

Tom from Dublin Toastmasters

Would you like to meet Tom?  How did his story engage you?  Are you interested in finding out more?  How could you use Tom’s structure to explain who you are?

Are there any other good examples?  Please let me know.

——–
Another way to improve your confidence is regular practice.  I have been developing an online module of my Persuasive Communications seminar.  It is available here: Improve My Speaking. Feel free to share this resource with friends (and people who need it).

25 comments

1. I am member of Toastmaster, yes, all three were brilliant. It is only by practice, sharing your ideas with mentor, improving your speech will make better speaker.

1. Yes, each person has to go on their own journey; start from where they start and make one improvement at a time ;-)

2. Sakthi · · Reply

All 3 speeches were great considering their first speech in TM. I remember my first speech in TM local club and it went well. But my second and third speech was not so well compared to my Ice Breaker speech. I tend to forget the speech how much I practice. Any ideas/tips how to remember the speech because I should not be using notes during my speech.

3. […] Three Examples of Ice-Breaker Speeches – simple – three ways to introduce yourself […]

4. I had seen and come across so many people advises so much on improving communication skills and the style to adopt, but, your advice is really impressive and gives what one needed. Good work and one more die-hard of to your fan’s club. I have been just watching your videos and trying to put in place the advises that you gave, and I can see myself, being a public speaker, I am improving a lot and need more improvements. Thanks for all your valuable tips and great links. You are really an inspiring to many of us.

5. rajaperumal · · Reply

Patrick was good. bit fidgety.
    Esha good body language.
    Tom was great very matter of fact.

6. Sukhdip · · Reply

Initially i could not engage with either of the three members and i thought i culd do better. So been a smart cookie i put on the webcam and started talking about myself………….and there goes……. I realised i am worse than all of them and needed to improve big time on articulating my thoughts and put across to myself.As long they were in myind, everything was alright but the moment the tongue was geared up nothing made sense.
    Thnks and i have started working on it.

1. Brilliant – yep, it is often so much easier to point out flaws in others than it is to deliver the perfect version ourselves – well done on taking the path to mastery of communication rather than the path of mastery of criticism ;-)

7. Patrick’s speech is interesting and he seemed to have taken all my concentration, by the time i got to toastmaster speech 1 and Tom, kind of lost interest. Cant make up my mind if I would have listenedd to tom or the lady had they been first.

1. hehe – yep, first and last speakers always have an advantage in terms of being memorable!

8. Patick started off strong, but he lost me somewhere in the middle and I stopped watching. When deciding whether or not someone is interesting, I don’t want a narrative that takes me back and forth too much.

9. Colleen White · · Reply

Was that a trick question about Patrick’s presentation?

1. I think it was just a rhetorical question to prompt you to evaluate his approach.

10. Hi, I check your new stuff daily. Your humoristic style is
    witty, keep doing what you’re doing!

11. Lalit · · Reply

Isha’s speech was good

1. Yes, she is great ;-)

12. Jasmine · · Reply

Esha’s speech was the best!!!!!!

1. ;-) she is good!

13. Tom’s presentation was great. So funny¡¡¡¡¡ it was a good tool to link his life to historical moments and important historical figures. I believe his body language was not so good at the end of the speech(around min 5) as he was balancing a lot, am I right?… Thanks

1. Yes ;-) I am looking to expand and give some more good examples… any good tips?

14. Loved Tom’s speech. Que hombre tan simpático, no?

1. Hehehe, yep. You finished with Greek and Romans? ;-)

What do you think? Let me know you were here ;-)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

My Journey 2 Scratch

"The secrets to life are hidden behind the word cliché" - Shay Butler

PLATAFORMA CONTRA LAPRIVATITZACIÓ I URBANITZACIÓ D'UNA PART DEL PARC

antryump

"A Blog worth reading "

Karen Blumberg

Technology is special.

The Night Owl Writer

Wide Awake in Midnight City

sivaprakashsidhu

Living positively and Inspiring guy who motivates people all the time!!

MARKETING INSTITUCIONAL Y COMUNICACIÓN PUBLICA

ESTRATEGIA Y LIDERAZGO PARA MEJORAR LA GESTIÓN PÚBLICA Y SUS PROFESIONALES

saastr

thoughts on web services people pay for

Rich Sense ~ Christian Leadership & Daily Life~

Growing deeper in Christ, living a richer life

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 8,335 other followers